Houston Car Accident FAQ

If you have sustained an injury in any type of auto crash, you should contact a car accident lawyer. Houston has a large number of auto accidents every single month, but many people don’t realize that they may be entitled to compensation for damages or injuries sustained in the crash. Here are some of the most common questions people have about personal injury laws and auto accidents in Houston, TX.

What Is a Personal Injury Suit?

A personal injury lawsuit or “claim” is a legal action that can be taken against the driver at fault in an accident, or that driver’s employer or insurance company. A successful personal injury suit will allow you to recover a monetary award to cover the costs of car repairs, medical bills and more.

When Should I File a Claim?

Most states, including Texas, have a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. This means that you have up to two years after the date of your injury to file a personal injury suit. If you wait two years plus one day, the court will reject your claim because it falls outside the statute of limitations. It’s best to consult with a car accident lawyer in Houston as soon as you can after an accident; the sooner the claim process is started, the sooner you will be able to receive compensation.

What Can I Receive Compensation For?

If a car accident injury suit is successful, money will be awarded to the accident victim or to their family. Compensation in Texas is broken down into the three following categories.

  • Economic Damages: This includes compensation to pay for a victim’s medical bills, treatment and rehabilitation due to the injury. It can also include wages lost if the victim is unable to continue working.
  • Non-Economic Damages: This covers the emotional trauma that a car accident victim can suffer as a result of a crash. It can include ongoing pain and suffering from your injuries, a reduced quality of life, mental anguish and other emotional damage suffered by the victim’s family.
  • Punitive Damages: If the at-fault driver did something truly bad, such as injuring a person in a drunk driving crash, the court may award additional compensation to the victim in order to further punish the person who injured them.

Can My Case Be Settled Out of Court?

Most car accident claims in Houston are settled between the injured and at-fault driver and their respective attorneys. If they cannot reach an agreement ahead of time, the case will most likely go to a trial.

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Houston, TX

If you have incurred hospital bills or other costs following a car accident in Houston and believe that you may have a valid personal injury claim against the other party, or if a suit has been filed against you following a crash, contact the Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P. at 713-364-0723. You will not be charged for your first consultation with our office and we will work to help you establish and file a personal injury claim.

Please follow and like us: